Monday, September 20, 2010

For the Retirees: How to Snag the Senior Discounts

by Darlene Hinkley


I am writing this for my daughter, son-in-law's, and Angela's blog.  They are far too young to understand the benefits of aging.  I am enjoying this stage of my life far too much to let them know that they are not in the "best years of their life" no matter what people tell them. No work, no kids, and not giving a rats a** what people think.
I am going to share some of the discounts that I have found that I use often.  You probably have your own favorites, so be sure and share them with us.

First of all, the term "senior" can mean anything from 50 to 65, depending on the policy of the establishment.
The biggest drawbacks to getting senior discounts is the senior themselves.  They are shy about asking for a discount or if they ask once and are turned down they don't ask anywhere else. Think of it this way, you don't know these people so why would you care what they think?

Another problem is vanity.  The young clerks probably think you are an old fogie if you are over 35, so them doubting you is not a problem. Many clerks will not offer you the discount  fearing the wrath of a old looking young person. An older clerk asking for verification of age is like begin carded when you are 28.

It I encounter a rude clerk (I rarely do), I do not frequent their establishment if I can help it, and I tell everyone I know how I was treated. So don't be shy; you have nothing to lose by asking.


Here are some examples of common places where you can find senior discounts:


  • The most used senior discount in my bag of tricks is golf.  Most golf courses offer a senior discount that make playing more affordable. Just check their internet page or ask.
  • Of course discounts at restaurants and hotels/motels are some of the best. An AARP card is helpful.
  • We have several grocery stores that offer senior days from time to time. The discount can be anywhere from 5 to 15%, may be just on food, or just on non food, or on both.
  • Some universities allow their alum to take classes on a no credit basis for free.  Now is the time to take the classes that you wanted to take, but could not fit into your schedule.  Underwater basket weaving comes to mind.
  • The National Park Service offers a America the Beautiful Senior Pass for people over 62 and cost a one time fee of $10. It allows a senior and anyone (up to 4 adults) in a non-commercial  vehicle with them free access to the parks. You can only get this pass in person at a National Park.
  • Check at museums also, they usually have a discount fee.


More to come when my brain opts to release stored information. 

No comments:

Post a Comment