Thursday, September 16, 2010

Angel Food Menu for October

So if you haven't checked out the Angel Food menu for October, it is shaping up to be a good one. Unlike Bill I am not going to list ALL of the items here but I do have some comments that might help those of you who are new. And if you haven't tried Angel Food before, I suggest that you give it a go. Aside from scratch and dent items, it is the best way to save money on groceries!

So the highlight of the October menu, in my opinion, is the seafood box. For $35 you get 6 lbs of seafood including:

  • 16 oz oven-ready buffalo shrimp
  • 20 oz stuffed crabs in their natural shells
  • 16 oz oven-ready battered fish
  • 16 oz tilapia
  • 11 oz stuffed salmon portions
  • 17 oz crab cakes
I have had all of these before except the stuffed salmon and it is all really quality food.

Another recommendation that I have is the allergen-free box. All of the items are processed to remove the top 8 allergens: peanuts, soybeans, milk, eggs, tree nuts, fish, crustacea, and gluten. In these items is plenty of fried chicken, and that is one of the best values in Angel Food. Usually the chicken comes from top vendors like Tyson (even though it will arrive to you without a label). The chicken is very flavorful. The allergen-free box is $25 for 5 lbs.

The steak box is always a good deal too: this month you get 2 lbs ribeyes and 3 lbs strips for $25. Their steaks are usually pretty good quality - mostly lean cuts.

Also notable is the fact that you can pre-order your complete Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner for $36. Each dinner includes a 7.5 lb (average Perdue roasting hen (very flavorful - we had it last year), a 3lb netted boneless ham, cranberries, 3 vegetables, gravy, rolls, and a dessert.

My plan is to order the $41 signature box, the steak box, the seafood box, and the allergen-free box. For $126 I get enough food to take care of dinners for my family of 4 (well 5, but my son isn't eating solid food yet) for an entire month. You just can't beat that.

About the only thing I personally wouldn't ever buy is the produce, as I said - the fact that it usually arrives bruised and/or frozen (it happened to me twice!) is bad news, in my opinion. Aside from that, why would you buy that when you could go to your local farmer's marker and get it fresher and cheaper?

But overall, my final assessment is that Angel Food is a good deal, and October is a great month to try it.



No comments:

Post a Comment